Call for applications 2015: Master of Arts in Social Science (Development Studies)
Master of Arts in Social Science (Development Studies), Faculty of Social Sciences, Chiang Mai University invites development practitioners, policy makers and those who would like to pursue a career in the field of development studies to apply for the two-year MA program. Within a cross-cultural learning environment, the field-based research program adopts a critical stance, concentrating on human-centered, ecologically-sensitive, local livelihood-focused development amidst the globalized context of Southeast Asia.
Students who would like to pursue research in the following fields will be given priority for admission and scholarships.
- ASEAN integration and mobility flows.
- Food, water and energy security.
- Urbanization and climate change.
- Cultural heritage and consumption.
- Ethnic and health dimension in development.
Scholarships are available for those from the Mekong Region who demonstrate academic excellence and have 2 to 3 year professional experiences related to development.
Deadline for application: 30 April 2015.
Regional Center for Social Science and Sustainable Development (RCSD)
Faculty of Social Sciences, Chiang Mai University,
Chiang Mai 50200 THAILAND
Telephone: +66 53 943595/6 ext.21 Fax: +66 53 893279
Email: firstname.lastname@example.org Website: http://rcsd.soc.cmu.ac.th/
Student Assistant Needed (posted: 8 March 2015)
Are you currently a college student? Are you willing to learn new things and be exposed to several opportunities? Are you creative and can work with minimum supervision? You might be the one I am looking for!
- Develop communication materials for Good Vibes Travel and Tours;
- Assist in managing different communication channels of Good Vibes Travel and Tours;
- Assist in developing contents for the Good Vibes Travel and Tours website;
- Assist in the conduct of research for Good Vibes Travel and Tours;
- Assist in organizing the documentation system of Good Vibes Travel and Tours;
- Assist in managing activities and schedules; and
- Provide all communication and coordination needs as requested.
- Must be a current undergraduate student of an accredited university;
- Must be proficient in writing in English or Filipino;
- Knowledge and experience on the following programs (or other similar programs): Adobe Photoshop, Adobe AfterEffects (or other video editing software), and Adobe InDesign (or other software with similar function);
- Proficient in MS Office applications and programs;
- Must be available to report for work in Quezon City; and
- Must be flexible, self-motivated, hard-working and can manage multiple tasks efficiently.
Interested applicants are requested to submit a copy of their CV/resume, sample written work (original and sole authorship), and design (self-designed posters, flyers, shirts, logos, etc). to email@example.com. Please use the subject title: “Application for Student Assistant”. Deadline of application is on 11 March 2015.
- Work will be output basis so it is not necessary to always report for work unless required;
- Fee will be per hour; and
- Preference will be given to those who have expressed financial need to work in order to support their studies.
Research Assistant Wanted (posted: 2 March 2015)
Motivated and enthusiastic applicants are desired for the position of Research Assistant in Metro Manila. The RA will oversee a project to measure labor market demand for fresh graduates in NCR. The project is led by Emily Beam (National University of Singapore), Joshua Hyman (University of Connecticut), and Caroline Theoharides (Amherst College). This will be a full-time position lasting approximately four months, beginning in April. A good fit could lead to additional longer-term opportunities, pending additional project funding.
Duties and responsibilities will include:
- Regularly liaising with the principal investigators
- Hiring, training, deploying and supervising survey field staff around metro Manila
- Developing and piloting survey materials and protocols, translating documents
- Managing the data collection management process and ensuring the data collected are of the highest quality
- Conducting qualitative interviews with employers and local organizations.
Desired Qualifications and Experience:
- A Bachelor’s degree in economics, public policy, social sciences, or related fields, Master’s degree preferred
- High degree of computer proficiency, experience with statistical packages (STATA) preferred
- Experience with social-science research, familiarity with randomized controlled trials preferred
- Flexibility, self-motivation, team spirit and an ability to manage multiple tasks efficiently
- Excellent management and organizational skills, ability and willingness to work effectively in cross-cultural environments
- Fluency in English, excellent writing and communication skills
If interested, please send your CV and a brief statement of interest to Emily Beam at firstname.lastname@example.org by March 5.